• Insider
    17 Mar 2011, 7:49 p.m.

    Hi all
    long time viewer first time poster.
    I own a big pilot 5004 the warranty expired in january and it has started to stop if I take it off for anything over a couple of hours.
    I assume it requires a service, I have contacted IWC and recieved a reply asking me to post to :
    R I S

    PO Box 34210


    NW5 3BZ

    I am very cautious, has anyone posted to this address ? and what procedure follows.

    IWC seem very vague with instructions.

    I am concerned because of the value of my beloved BP
    Rgds Pete

  • Master
    17 Mar 2011, 9:58 p.m.

    Could you take it to an Authorized IWC Dealer? Let them handle the arrangements, and there will be not so much worrying.
    The only hard thing for you will be the time you have to be without it-

    so, while you are at the AD, pick out another IWC to buy.
    You know you want to

    Good luck.

  • Insider
    18 Mar 2011, 12:05 p.m.

    Hi Nelson

    Thanks for your reply.
    It looks like thats the road I will have to go down unfortunately the authorised dealer for IWC in Leicester are dreadful.
    They are only interested in selling the watches, after sales seem to be a burden for them.
    Although it does make it easier not to buy a new IWC from them!
    Kind rgds Pete

  • Apprentice
    25 Mar 2011, 6:14 a.m.

    Yeah , go to a nearest AD is the best and try to build a relationship to one of the salesperson there is the best. If you're looking for a new IWC and you've already have the BP, I advise you to look at the new Portofino Dual Time or The 8 days handwound as they are dressier good for special ocassions.