• Apprentice
    23 Jul 2010, 2:05 a.m.

What is significant about the crown on a big pilots watch some have a fish logo on them?? does this signify anything ??

• Master
    23 Jul 2010, 6:45 a.m.

Fish crown demonstrates water resistance >>>>

Many of the older crowns had the 'fish' on them until IWC changed to the Probus Scafusia crowns.

i28.photobucket.com/albums/c236/nad1/Big%20Pilot%202010/IMG_0890.jpg

i28.photobucket.com/albums/c236/nad1/GST/GSTnewstuff-02.jpg
    GST Crown also!!!!!!!!!

i28.photobucket.com/albums/c236/nad1/GST/GSTnewstuff-01.jpg

• 22 Jul 2010, 9:50 p.m.

The fish logo on crowns

...was commonly used in the watch industry to signify "water resistant". IWC later changed it to a Probus Scafusia design as a matter of style.

Some collectors like the earlier Ref. 5002 Big Pilots Watches with fish logo corwn, since that's the way those watches came ex-factory. Generally those models, if they have a Probus crown, had the crown changed in service. Some people like what they consider the "authenticity" of the fish crown.

As usual, there's more in the archives.

Regards,
    Michael

• Master
    22 Jul 2010, 10:45 a.m.

Others will chime in here, but>>>

The early model 5002's had the fish crown, which signified water resistance. When some changes were made in the movements, faster heartbeat etc, the crown was switched to the Probus Crown which is found on all current models. When the fish crown models were sent in for repairs, there was some issue early on, the fish crown was swapped out for the Probus.

Other IWC of the era with water resistance also had a fish crown.

Bill

• Master
    23 Jul 2010, 11:15 a.m.

If a 5002 is worn often, the fish crown will...

likely need replacing to the Probus Scafusia crown at some point, because the threads wear out. Unfortunately, IWC chose not to make these available at service time.
    --
    Cheers from Isobars.

• Master
    23 Jul 2010, 12:20 p.m.

That's very true...

...and exactly what happened to my 5002 recently. It arrived from service a few weeks ago like new, but I sure miss the old crown :(

Cheers,
    Evan

• 23 Jul 2010, 9:45 p.m.

You know, I don't miss my fish crown...

I think the Probus crown looks nicer. Also. some people think I have a "transitional" 5002 (with the higher beat movement --which is neither what I have nor what I prefer), and they seem to like the Probus crown in that instance.

But above all I'm not a purist-for-the-sake-of-being-a-purist. To me an authentic replacement crown by IWC during an IWC service is sufficiently authentic for me. I understand that others differ.

Regards,
    Michael