• Graduate
    11 Apr 2011, 4:23 p.m.

this watch is an 1890 calibre.I found the parts catalog online and this watch is on page 4. the serial # on my watch matches the serial # in the 1890's catalog.My questions are, How many of this model were made?Serial #52446 calibre #58 18lig,Ancre Savonette. Thanks for the help!!

• 11 Apr 2011, 5:12 p.m.

Calibre 58 was made in 19,100 units. However, it is the same movement as the calibre 57 except that it winds at 3 o'clock rather than 12 o'clock. The calibre 57 was produced in 119,420 units. You can read about these at
    Click here

I'm not sure what you mean in your title by "contract model". I am guessing you mean that it has been converted to a wristwatch by someone else, and is what collectors call a "marriage". If so, that's unfortunate.

• Graduate
    11 Apr 2011, 7:28 p.m.
  • Graduate
    11 Apr 2011, 7:32 p.m.

During my research I found that many IWC watches were made without any markings on the watch face.These were made for Military, Jewelers.They were calling these contract models on the internet.I am still wondering if it is rare to have the watch I am holding and the catalog serial #'s matching.Does this mean that they used this exact watch to draw the parts catalog Picture for this watch? And how do I find how many were made of this exact watch? I really do appreciate the help! Would the museum have an example of my watch?

• Graduate
    11 Apr 2011, 8:18 p.m.

I also do not know what ANCRE means, This is in the parts catalog. It is listed like this,... Calibre No.58,18 lig. Ancre Savonette. I am guessing it is of the person it was named after but I can find no record of this particular name on the internet or this site.any idea?

• 11 Apr 2011, 10:14 p.m.

Really, your watch is not rare nor special. In fact the unsigned dial makes it less valuable. The coincidence to the catalog picture is interesting but it commands no premium. 57s and 58s are among the least expensive of IWC pocket watches, and the price lists show that they were less costly than the ubiquitous Calibre 52s and 53s.

In my collection, I only bought a Cal. 57 recently (for under 500 USD) to show it as an example on my pocket watch website. I never buy unsigned dials unless there is no reasonable alternative (like for cal. 24 Seelands). This is not a Museum watch --sorry.

Ancre means "Anchor" and relates the form of Swiss lever escapement used. There also is a special "ancre bridge" used. You can read about this by searching the archives (go to the magnifying glass, upper right). Look for the posts by Ralph Ehrismann on 16 Nov 2008 and 1 May 2005 (buried in other strings but you'll get there via the word Ancre).

• Graduate
    11 Apr 2011, 10:31 p.m.

Thank you so much for your help!I love this watch and it keeps perfect time and runs smoothly!I appreciate all the time you put in answering questions!John from the USA.

• 12 Apr 2011, 12:53 a.m.

You're welcome!

Also, for the future, might I suggest you not post in the "archive". When we switched software that was supposed to be locked, which it wasn't, and the edit function doesn't yet allow me to move discussions.

Nothing is simple --thanks for understanding.