• Apprentice
    29 Dec 2023, 12:15 p.m.

Dear all
    Another question for the vintage dial experts around here :-).
    I am looking into buying a cal 89 from 1955. According to the seller, a master watchmaker with lots of IWC experience, the dial is genuine.
    Here's a close-up pic of it.
    Now I am not worried about the straight "SCHAFFHAUSEN" but rather the fact that it is too bold for me to be genuine.
    What's your take?
    Thanks, Stefan

• 29 Dec 2023, 5:46 p.m.

What a nice dial, I love it. I wouldn't have too many doubts about that dial and the print on it, it was 1955, IWC had multiple suppliers of dials, so

from one dial to another, there can be differences.

• Apprentice
    29 Dec 2023, 5:51 p.m.

Given that the seller is a master watchmaker with extensive IWC experience, it's advisable to discuss your specific concerns with them. They may be able to provide more insights into the authenticity of the dial, considering their expertise and experience.

• Apprentice
    30 Dec 2023, 11:27 a.m.

Thank you, Tonny and Thomaso, for your replies.

I did indeed speak with the master watchmaker again and he was actually able to show me another dial from a rosegold cal 89 (ref. 521 with shark fin lugs) from 1959 with almost the same logo. See pic below.

This is indeed new to me. I had not seen a bold Schaffhausen as part of the logo in all the years I'm collecting IWCs. We keep learning... every day.

So I'll buy the piece and will share a pic of it here once it is with me.

All the best to you all. Happy 2024!
    Stefan