• Apprentice
    5 Sep 2023, 10:23 p.m.

Good afternoon everyone,

I have an Aquatimer GST 20000 IW353601 coming tomorrow.

From the seller's pictures, the bezel looks a little tired. Mainly looks like white / grey discoloration around the numbers.

I contacted IWC and was told they don't sell replacement bezels...

So I was wondering if there is a way to clean the bezel, or if this fading / discoloration is permanent?

Also, with an included tool to remove the bezel, it's too bad a new one just can't be ordered.

I'm really excited about this watch, besides AP, IWC has always been one of my favorites. I've had a good number of IWCs and feel this one will end up in my permanent rotation along with my other IWC I'm never selling, a Big Pilot Top Gun Perp (Such a perfect watch...) :)

• Master
    6 Sep 2023, 4:29 p.m.

Hi, congratulations with obtaining a great watch, I own a 3536 in Titanium and absolutely love it! I'm not a restoratoin expert but:

- the bezel is attached with 2 tiny screws under the edge, opposite to each other (to be seen from the side of the watch), so you can remove and clean it.
    - you didn't attach any pictures (can you still do that?), but the top of the numbers/marks on the bezel are 'metal' colour and the black in between should be really black. Can't remember ever seen a faded or discoloured one....

Please post pictures once you received it!

Regards, Bob

• Apprentice
    6 Sep 2023, 4:41 p.m.

Thanks Bob :)

The pictures from the dealer weren't the best...

But here is what I'm talking about. See the white areas around the numbers and markers?

Naturally, UPS seems to be delayed and it doesn't look to be coming today 😞

• Master
    7 Sep 2023, 9:37 p.m.

The image supplied is of a very poor resolution, so it is impossible to ascertain what the white marks are.

They could just be accumulated dirt, or blurring image or in fact oxidation or wearing off of the black material on the bezel. Once you receive the 3536, post better pictures so we can really see what's going on.

Mine for comparison....

• Apprentice
    7 Sep 2023, 10 p.m.

Was just dirt, which is kind of what I thought.

Nothing some warm water with dishsoap and an old soft toothbrush couldn't fix up.

It is running between 20-30 seconds slow a day. Is that normal for this old of a movement, or should a watchmaker get it in spec a little better?

I'm not too crazy about it, since it'll only be worn for a few hours and then run dead.

• Master
    7 Sep 2023, 11:05 p.m.

Well!!!

That cleaned up really nicely!

30secs a day is too much! Judging by the former condition of the bezel, this watch has been neglected for many years. It is definitely due a service.

• Apprentice
    7 Sep 2023, 11:06 p.m.

Sold by a former AD who sold the watch to a client new in 2003.

Guessing it was never serviced... I have a pretty good watchmaker friend... guess I'll let him take a look at it :)

• Master
    8 Sep 2023, 8:23 p.m.

Congrats on a beautiful IWC tool watch!

Let the watchmaker take a close look at it, also the waterproofness will be restored and you will have a beautiful watch many more years to come!

• Apprentice
    8 Sep 2023, 8:29 p.m.

Thanks will do :)

Still trying to get some straps from IWC, kind of like pulling teeth...

Seems like we have the same Big Pilot perpetual :)

• Apprentice
    9 Sep 2023, 3:43 a.m.

Weirdest thing...

Was kind of keeping track of the watch versus my phone and it seemed within a second all day.

I tossed it on my timegrapher and it's now reading + 1 to 2 seconds a day.

Do you think it just hasn't run in a while, hence yesterday's really off readings? Now after running it's more in spec? 🤔

Maybe also magnetized in shipping???

• Master
    4 Oct 2023, 10:24 p.m.

Well, accurate is best when the watch is fully wound. Before you wrote it ran dead meaning it's at the end of power reserve (spring tension) hence most inaccurate! Wind it 40-50 times to its max and then measure accuracy I'd say

• Apprentice
    4 Oct 2023, 10:29 p.m.

I've tested it a few more times and still running very well.

Also finally got it on a rubber strap :)

Excuse the mess, renovating my office...