• Apprentice
    12 Sep 2014, 6:06 a.m.

To: Customer Service officer
    cc: Regional Technical Director

RE: Quality Issue complaint on IWC 501901/Guarantee No.: 5114587

I am sending my disappointment on IWC501901. Since I bought it from 11 months ago, it has never been healthy present on my wrist since my purchase.
    I bought it from local dealer on 4th October 2013; it stops running once in a while and I sent it to the dealer for repairing on 12th May 2014, it took me 2 months for the repairing.
    I got back my watch on 17th July 2014, it was found that the second hand running awkwardly at the same night. The next day, I returned my watch to the dealer again and it spent another few weeks for the 2nd repairing. (It only comes up with an incredible reason; watch has been magnetized)
    Finally, I got back my watch on 14th Aug 2014 afternoon, after few hours wearing. There was moisture under whole glass. It was extremely horrible and disappointed.
    According to the watch specification, it should have anti-magnetism ability. However, it was one of the reasons to cause my watch stop running. Unbelievably, my watch performance got even worse after 3th repairing.
    I have consulted with the watchmaking professionals, by showing the video and photos on all defects on my watch. They advised that my watch was not in good caring during whose repairing:
    The second hand should not touch the underneath side of the sapphire glass & the service centre would let it have QC passed by the repairer and the quality controller.
    All watch should have water resistance test before return to the client, i.e. My watch is just only 6 bars (Normal standard). It should not appear with moisture after few hours wearing.

I believe this terrible journey is composed by the quality issue of the watch model plus the poor service by the service centre. I do not have any enjoyment after the purchase of this watch and have no more confident on IWC model. Now, I would like to ask for the refund or exchange with another new model.

• Graduate
    12 Sep 2014, 11:45 a.m.

Hello AHOU10, just like to confirm that your watch was repaired by IWC ? This looks bizarre they can mess up a few times during repair. I am lucky not to deal with Service yet other than regular check, but this does not look like IWC quality.

• Apprentice
    12 Sep 2014, 11:54 a.m.

hi Samsony, since the watch is still under warranty period. Therefore, the watch has been following by IWC hk workshop all the way back from the first problem

• Master
    12 Sep 2014, 12:39 p.m.

Dear AHOU10,
    this clearly is not IWC standard but the problem won't be solved here in the forum. As to my knowledge, this model is not equipped with a soft-iron inner case to protect against magnetism. The catalogue does not mention it, but it would be stated if it was there.I think this should be discussed with the HK representative of the IWC boutique where you purchased it. Since it seems to be under warranty, there should be no problem and they will find a generous way to settle this issue. After all, you have chosen a beautiful watch which should be a joy to wear.

• Apprentice
    12 Sep 2014, 1:22 p.m.

hey Tom, i know the problem wont be solved but i just wanna draw people attention here because of the bad quality and the customer service from iwc. The watch shown moisture on the next day after the second repairing. They took me another 2 weeks of examination. and replied me with an extra half year warranty for a moisture watch. im really surprised by what u called IWC standard.

• Insider
    12 Sep 2014, 1:26 p.m.

Hello

I had issues with my IWC a few months after purchasing it almost 4 years ago, although the issues I experienced were not as bad as yours. I made the case to my AD that the product was not 'fit for purpose' and requested an exchange. IWC were kind enough to send me a new watch.

It's a great model that you have there, hope you get a swift resolution.

• Apprentice
    12 Sep 2014, 1:37 p.m.

it has been over 4 months since i first sent the watch to the iwc service centre
    new problems found right after every repairing. really not sure whether the IWC has any QC for their
    products and repairing workshop. And how much they care about after sales services. Just wanna share this case to the people who are planning to buy any product from this brand

• Master
    12 Sep 2014, 2:23 p.m.

I am sadden to see this beautiful watch giving problem from day 1 and the repeated problem you have experienced after each repair done. I can understand how frustrated you feel but can you clarify whether the local dealer has send the watch to the official IWC service centre?

I believe IWC will not permit such service standard and if I were you, I will request the watch to be send straight to Schaffhausen factory.

Hope to see your watch return to it's pristine condition that it should deserve soon.

• Apprentice
    12 Sep 2014, 2:41 p.m.

yes, all the services and problems are done by IWC service centre hk

• 12 Sep 2014, 8:07 p.m.

Hi AHOU10,

I'm sorry to hear about your problem, especially for your first post on this forum. In general, the forum isn't the place to deal with service issues (per the forum rules when you sign up) because they're difficult to assess fully in any individual instance. But nevertheless --it appears that you do have an issues that should be fixed.

Let me suggest that you e-mail me with your name and contact information. I will forward that and your concerns, as expressed here, to the persons in charge of IWC's office, with the suggestion that you get VIP treatment in having all resolved.

Fair enough?

• Graduate
    19 Sep 2014, 6:56 p.m.

To Moderator: Forum is not the place to deal with service issues??? I believe Forum should facilitate the discussion on the repair or maintenance service for a couple of reasons. First and foremost, any mechanical watch is destined to go to workshop every once a while. Second, repair or maintenance service is a very critical part of user experience for any time pieces, especially when you pay so much money. People do not buy a luxury watch as a one time dispensable item. I would suggest that the Forum provide a special space to discuss service, so IWC fans can truly enjoy the watch experience. What do you think?

• Master
    20 Sep 2014, 10:48 p.m.

Great Michael

• Apprentice
    13 May 2015, 5:26 a.m.

Hello Paulyeowe, as Michael wrote in his response, the forum has rules about what to post and how.
    Since your post was not according to the rules, I removed it, but feel free to send me an email and we discuss this offline.
    Tonny Berteloot, moderator

• Connoisseur
    13 May 2015, 8:34 a.m.

I think that Michael has done a most noble act by helping this young man with his ongoing and unsatisfactory work by the IWC HK service centre.Sometimes,someone with influence needs to step in and facilitate some common sense,despite what the forum rules state.I applaud Mr.Friedberg in his effort to resolve this matter,and to bring the whole episode to a satisfactory conclusion.
    Kenneth.

• Apprentice
    6 Apr 2016, 5:59 a.m.

This is my first post and I regret my last as I doubt I will buy another IWC watch.
    I purchased a Charles Darwin Bronze Aquatimer in May of last year.
    On a trip to Thailand I noticed one small hand had become detached and then later on the dial face moved, possible as a result of me moving the diving bezel when the small detached hand was stuck between the face and the bezel. I took it to the Hong Kong dealer who sent it off to the IWC factory. They declared that the watch had been subject to a severe shock which caused the dial to rotate. As I had been wearing the watch all the time I disputed that assertion but they stated that the investigation proved the watch had suffered a shock. As they are the experts I must assume they are correct but I can not recall any such impact or drop and my wrist was not injured in any way. Therefore I must assume the impact, if it was an impact was relatively mild and the watch must be very sensitive to shocks. This is sold as a diving watch so i would assume should be able to stand up to the rigours of the environment but I had not yet taken the watch diving only regular wear. My advice to IWC would be to toughen up watches that are sold as "action" watches. When you do that please let me know and I will possibly buy another IWC watch. In the meantime I have reverted to my 20 year old Rolex which has never given any problems, other than regular servicing. I do not work for Rolex.

• Apprentice
    6 Apr 2016, 9:32 a.m.

Hi Peter,

I bought the same watch and experienced the same problem as yours! Now i am talking with the IWC Hong Kong and they answered the same thing to me.... Frankly, i doubt that the watch design got some problem and caused such problem. May i know how do u solve this issue at the end ?

• Apprentice
    5 May 2016, 1:35 a.m.

Hi Bobby, how much did IWC charge you to fix this issue? This just happened to me and I just brought it to the AD. Thanks

• Apprentice
    5 May 2016, 1:35 a.m.

Hi Bobby, how much did IWC charge you to fix this issue? This just happened to me and I just brought it to the AD. Thanks

• Apprentice
    5 May 2016, 7:12 a.m.

THEY TRIED CHARGE ME 6300HKD, BUT FINALLY SETTLE AT 3000 HKD...

• Apprentice
    5 May 2016, 7:23 a.m.

you bought the same watch as mine ?