• Apprentice
    26 Apr 2011, 8:04 a.m.

Hi, All! I am a new comer here; currently I have a chance to get one 18K gold watch; do you think what I should consider? is it ok for me to have the first vintage watch. of course, that one is fully under good condition inside & outside!
    thanks for all your concern!

vaiome77

• Master
    26 Apr 2011, 9:29 p.m.

The cheapest 18ct gold is the Portofino automatic. Then by the time you are looking at the gold Portuguese perpetual calendar you are looking at a watch approximately five times the price of the Portofino, but we have not finished by any means as we could take the latter and times 10.

Prices vary according to the Market you are in and the differential will vary possibly country to country.

Be warned there are a load of second hand watches available, some are excellent and others are marriages of a movement from one watch, a dial from another, a case from third. How many of those components are genuine IWC is one question but the main problem is the fact that if they are a marriage they might not be serviced by IWC as what is the watch? Also at the worst end of the scale some watches may be anything from a modern case with old movement right up to total utter fake! If your knowledge is minimal you are entering a minefield which could cost you decent money for a watch with a Market value of scrap gold.

By the way this forum is non commercial and prices also are discouraged. Can not even recommend certain auction houses. But safest place is from authorised dealer, but their stock will be new 99% and very few trade ins available!

• Apprentice
    27 Apr 2011, 3:39 a.m.

thanks for your great advice, what your suggestion is good to me!
    by the way, I just want to have your recommendation on cal 402, is this calibre a good one for me to have.how do you judge it( this one is a 18k solid gold w/cal 402 inside), thanks Greg!

• Master
    28 Apr 2011, 12:01 a.m.

The cal 402 was produced from 1965-69. I know next to nothing about it, to be able to comment on it's kudos or quality. The one comment I can make is that it was around before the advent of quartz and the carnage of the Swiss watch industry. Therefore I feel that if the case was 18ct they would not be loading a low quality or minor grade movement in such a case.

Getting serviced by IWC will be a lengthy but worthwhile procedure and may be quite expensive depending on the work required.

Without photos it is impossible for this forum to advice much more.

• Apprentice
    28 Apr 2011, 2:54 a.m.

Greg, you are a kind person to input your comment & knowledge; that make me feel good to know more about it. it would really be helpful to me. Later I try to post the photo.(if I could do it)
    Actually this watch is totally original one(no part changed, but need clean up only) I got the datum from watch store's measurement: vph 19800; amplitude:220~280; +8 ~+20 s/day(for each direction)