• Apprentice
    23 Feb 2024, 3:10 a.m.

Please forgive my limited knowledge of automatic movements but I have a question about the these two movements found in different genentations of Pilot's Ceramic Chronograph models.

The 89361 is found in the older IW389001 (circa 2016) and has the following features:

• IWC-manufactured movement
    • Automatic, self-winding
    • 68 hours Power Reserve
    • Frequency 28800.0 VPH (4.0 Hz)
    • 299 Components
    • 38 Jewels
    • Cotes de Geneve

The 69380 is found in the current IW389101 which is the contemporary version of the older 389001. It has the following features:

• IWC-manufactured movement
    • Automatic, self-winding
    • 46 hours Power Reserve
    • Frequency 28'800 VPH (4 Hz)
    • 242 Components
    • 33 Jewels

It seems to me that the older 89361 superior; much longer PR, more jewels, Cotes de Geneve finishing and Flyback function. Both watches had a similar MSRPs.

Am I missing something or has IWC essentially downgraded the movement on the newer model?

• Apprentice
    24 Feb 2024, 9:35 a.m.

It appears that you've made some astute observations comparing the two movements found in the different generations of Pilot's Ceramic Chronograph models. Indeed, the older 89361 movement does seem to offer some advantages over the newer 69380 movement, such as a longer power reserve, more jewels, and additional finishing details like Cotes de Geneve. However, it's essential to consider that watch movements are often designed with specific trade-offs in mind, such as cost, complexity, and ease of maintenance. It's possible that the newer 69380 movement was developed to address certain factors like production efficiency or reliability, which may not be immediately apparent from the specifications alone. Ultimately, the decision to use a particular movement in a watch model involves various considerations, and both movements likely offer excellent performance and reliability in their respective timepieces.
    A minimalist design featuring a delicate feather intertwined with an inspiring quote like "Fly high, dream big" or "Strength in every step." This combination symbolizes resilience, freedom, and the power to overcome obstacles, making it a timeless and meaningful choice for a tattoo.

• Apprentice
    24 Feb 2024, 10:21 p.m.

Thank you for the reply. I understand what you are saying regading why a manufacturer might choose one movement over the other to assist them in the production process, hit a certain retail market price point for a watch, etc. My interest is in trying to understand if one movement is technically superior to the other, or if they are more or less equals but with different strenghts and weaknesses.

• Master
    29 Feb 2024, 10:01 p.m.

Hey Rob,

this Jack5253 whatever is a bot. A robot with an automatic (AI) generated answer to your question. The answer is of no value. The bots have to be deleted manually. Unfortunately we have them here everyday with new accounts. His answer is just generated blabla. Sorry about this.

• Master
    29 Feb 2024, 10:10 p.m.

Rob,

to give you a proper reply: the 89361 is from the 89xxx familiy which is the IWC Flyback Chronograph introduced in 2007 with the new Da Vinci line in the tonneau shaped case and used in many cool watches since then. It features a flyback Chronograph, 68 hours of power resevere, etc.

That the watch with the new and less sophisticated movement might be the same price point is another thing. Prices have increased but also the 89xxx watches are more expensive now. But Forum guidelines say we shall not discuss prices here. So I don't want to elaborate this more here.

• Apprentice
    2 Mar 2024, 4:41 a.m.

the IWC Caliber 89361 and the Valjoux 69380. Let's compare them:

1. IWC Caliber 89361 : This is a high-end chronograph movement produced by the Swiss luxury watch manufacturer IWC (International Watch Company). It's known for its accuracy, reliability, and craftsmanship. The Caliber 89361 features a flyback function, which allows the chronograph to be reset and restarted with a single push of a button. It also has a column wheel mechanism, which enhances the smoothness of operation. The movement has a power reserve of approximately 68 hours.

2. Valjoux 69380 : The Valjoux 69380 is a chronograph movement produced by Valjoux, a Swiss manufacturer that is now a part of the ETA group, which is owned by the Swatch Group. This movement is commonly found in more affordable and mid-range watches. It is based on the Valjoux 7750, one of the most renowned chronograph movements in the industry. The 69380 offers reliable timekeeping and chronograph functionality. It has a power reserve of around 48 hours.

The IWC Caliber 89361 is a high-end chronograph movement known for its precision and craftsmanship, while the Valjoux 69380 is a more accessible option commonly found in mid-range watches. Your choice between the two would depend on your budget, preferences, and intended use of the watch.

• Master
    4 Mar 2024, 8:49 p.m.

Sorry, but the 69380 is an IWC movement. Not a Valjoux. I think AlexanderJohn is another bot. Thanks for removing, Tonny.