• Apprentice
    10 Oct 2022, 4:27 p.m.

Were the watches in the 1st batch just"cobbled" together from spare parts? Did
    IWC have a data base on these watches?

• Connoisseur
    11 Oct 2022, 3:08 p.m.

It would be advisable to first conduct some research in easily accessible
    sources on the Mk. 11 and what is was used for before asking questions here
    obviously born by your interest in a watch which is by no means anything
    like an original Mk. 11.

Best regards

Th. Koenig

• Apprentice
    11 Oct 2022, 4:15 p.m.

i've read the MAN IS NOT LOST article and its sucsessor and the MARK11
    article. I would like to now more. Do you have an additional source to
    recommend?"

• Connoisseur
    12 Oct 2022, 9:14 a.m.

In the first article you mentioned it is clearly stated that the Mk. 11 does
    hack and the depicted RAF spec says it as well. So I do not understand your
    question, whether there are any Mk. 11 around, which do not hack. It is alike
    an US muscle car with a V8 hemi engine. If it lacks the hemi combustion room
    it is by definiton no V8 hemi, but a simple V8 standard engine commanding
    exceedingly lower prices.

White dialled Mk. 11 are simply original RAF Mk. 11 with a non-original dial.
    That as well is described in both articles. If the watch not only suffers from
    a non-original dial but as well from a non-original movement it is simply no
    Mk. 11 at all.

And it does not take to much work to figure out, that you can't build a Mk. 11
    from spares for different reasons beginning with the simple fact that the
    hacking feature needs some place to accomodate the necessary parts and some
    more threaded holes to fix such parts. So the hacking version of the Cal. 89
    has a different base plate compared to the non-hacking base plate. As there
    were no hacking Cal. 89 before the Mk. 11 in 1948/1949 it was impossible to
    build Mk. 11 form spares. And to regulate a watch to the Mk. 11 standard does
    not work with a movement build from spares. You need to have special parts
    used only in the Mk. 11, mentioned as well in the articles you quoted. And to
    acchieve this accuracy all parts must show very narrow tolerances just as the
    IWC Quality Extra pocket watches had. It should be obvious, that you can't
    build a high-end watch by simply visiting the spares store, getting there some
    spares out of the shelves and built from those spares a wrist watch exceeding
    all other military and civilian watches in serial production by far in terms
    of accuracy.

My impression is you found a "cheap" white dialled non-hacking Cal 89
    pretending to be a Mk. 11 and your wish to have found a cheap Mk. 11 makes you
    neglect, that what you found is not a "cheap Mk. 11", but "expensive scrap" of
    which maybe some parts can be used to repair a normal Cal. 89 or maybe a Mk.
    11. No member of this Forum would buy such a watch and if you buy it and
    later
    on try to sell it, you will have difficulty to find a buyer. At least no buyer
    will consider your watch as Mk. 11 or Mk. 11 with minor issues. In high-end
    watches originality is everything, even minor issues result in substantial
    loss of value.

So far regarding mil watches. Regarding civ watches nearly everything said
    above applies to civ. watches as well, especially that they all hack and have
    the black soft-iron dial. As described in the later article quoted by you only
    one white soft-iron dial variant exists, but nobody knows for sure, whether it
    is original or has been replaced. When you mention the "first batch" of
    civilian Mk. 11: What do you deem to be the first civilian batch? There were
    no military Mk. 11 batches on the one hand and civ Mk. 11 batches on the other
    hand. There were simply Mk. 11 batches, but after 1981 when the Mk. 11 was
    listed out there were no sales to armed forces any longer, so they all went to
    the civilian market.

Regards

Th. Koenig

• Apprentice
    12 Oct 2022, 12:18 p.m.

Thank you for the most definitive commentary on the subject since reading the
    2 previously mentioned articles plus the one suggesting 10 rules to consider
    when purchasing a Mk11. I don't own a white dialed Mk 11. I do however have a
    very nice 1952 standard IWC Mk11 and the JLC but have become fascinated with
    the civilian model as used by V. Fuchs and E.Hillary in the Antarctic trek of
    1957 and also by the test pilot of the Concord. Again thank you for more
    useful infomation. Best wishes, Bob.