• Apprentice
    7 Jul 2011, 7:10 p.m.

I recently want to buy a Da Vinci Chronograph with black dial. So I google around for the iw3764 series. I realize that there are few very similar 3764 with black dial. I tried google for more information of these 3 watches, but not many useful information can be found except many many fake watch link.

Can anyone tell me the difference between 3764-13 and 3764-21 (the one I see in shop). Is the -13 an earlier version? or they realise the same time? Any cosmetic difference between them?

3764-03
    Also, there is a 3764-03 with matt black dial, is it the oldest model of is kind in 2007? Is it still in production or discontinued?

Hope someone can help here. Thank you very much in advance!

• Master
    8 Jul 2011, 11:02 a.m.

Hi there,

Interesting (and good) question in my opinion. My initial interest in the DV 376204 and 376205 some months ago (the cousin Perpetual Calendar series, though quite a different movement) had lead me to ask the same question as you, to the extent that I started listing and preparing what I will reveal below.

The Da Vinci line is not discussed as much as the other lines (say Pilot, Mark, Portuguese, Big Pilot, Aquatimer …) but no less loved I am sure. I love the line myself but have yet to pull the trigger on one though the 376601 is within my sights.

My understanding is that the 3764s are all circa 2007 and later, and all have the same 89360 movement, but a key change was in the dial: early ones had flat plain dial. Later, there was an unannounced change to dials with the engraved wavy stripes, as enlightened by our moderator Michael in this discussion. You can also see in the pics the differences between the wavy textured striped dial, and those with the plain flat dial.

To answer your question 376403 has a plain flat dial, while in 376413 & 376421 are the wavy textured striped dials. The former 376403 is discontinued I believe, but if you search hard enough I think you will find dealers with unsold ones.

As to the differences between: 02 and 11; 05 and 09; 06 and 12; 13 and 21; 14 and 22, I too would very much like to know. The old and new references appear to have the same pics in my trawl through the catalogs and web, but it could be because (lazy?) dealers or re-sellers reused the older pics, but I doubt this can be a definitive reason.

For convenience, here is my attempt to have a complete listing of the 3764XX…if anyone can give corrections/clarifications, please feel free to do so:

01 white gold, ardoise dial, strap, flat dial
    02 rose gold, silver-plated dial, strap, flat dial

03 Stainless Steel, black dial, strap, flat dial
    04 Stainless Steel, blue dial, Laureus Limited Edition, flat dial
    05 Platinum, silver-plated dial, strap, flat dial

06 rose gold, silver-plated dial, bracelet, flat dial
    07 Stainless Steel, black dial, bracelet, flat dial
    08 nil
    09 Platinum, silver-plated dial, strap, flat dial
    10 white gold, ardoise dial, strap, wavy/textured striped dial
    11 rose gold, silver-plated dial, strap, flat dial
    12 rose gold, silver-plated dial, bracelet, flat dial
    13 Stainless Steel, black dial, strap, wavy textured striped dial
    14 Stainless Steel, black dial, bracelet, wavy textured striped dial
    16 Platinum, silver-plated dial, active collection, strap, wavy textured striped dial
    17 white gold, ardoise dial, active collection, strap, wavy textured striped dial
    18 rose gold, silver-plated dial, active collection, strap, wavy textured striped dial
    21 Stainless Steel, black dial, active collection, strap, wavy textured striped dial
    22 Stainless Steel, black dial, active collection, bracelet, wavy textured striped dial

…. And there is a further Collectors Forum Da Vinci ‘CFDV’which is also based on the 3764 I believe, although I have not come across the reference number. You can find out more in this discussion and article.

*from IWC Workbook Search, an application created by Stefan Weeber.

• Apprentice
    9 Jul 2011, 7:03 p.m.

Hello SHING,
    Thanks for your reply with detail information. Much much appreciate!
    I also did a similar record on excel, all our finding are identical except one I wasn't sure, that's the 3764-13. Since all foto I google is same as the -03. I first thought it is a non-exist due to sellers' error in posting the number.

is the -13 and -21 identical?!

• Master
    9 Jul 2011, 8:06 p.m.

Shing,

Thank you for the excellent discourse on a much overlooked "diamond in the rough."

This is one that will soar in value as time goes by.

Larry

• Master
    10 Jul 2011, 11:30 a.m.

Cseries, yes I verily believe its the same based on pics. I could be wrong, but I guess the mystery of the difference reference numbers, but same watchwill continue on for now.

Larry, yes agreed. This is one interesting series. Here's some pics for the discussion:
    first pic, on the right: a rarer 04 Stainless Steel, blue dial, Laureus Limited Edition, flat dial
    second pic, the Collectors Forum DV (even rarer !). Pic is courtesy of clepsydra

i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l497/vanhalen812/3764%20Da%20Vinci%20Chronograph/DaVinciLaureusEditiononright.jpg
    i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii236/costadaguia/Ref3764-15CFDV4.jpg

• Master
    10 Jul 2011, 11:32 a.m.

and the mystery continues ...the moment I clicked "Post Comment" I realized a mistake. the Laureus Edition has a flat dial, so either I was told wrongly this is the Laureus Edition, or IWC re-issued the Laureus Edition with a wavy textured dial later on.

• Master
    10 Jul 2011, 3:22 p.m.

Shing,
    I can confirm my Laureus edition #46 has a flat dial.
    Regards,
    Kevin

• Master
    10 Jul 2011, 3:56 p.m.

thanks Kevin. Will check again with the boutique staff.

• Apprentice
    10 Jul 2011, 7:39 p.m.

the right one looks like a -21 to me, it looks bit different due to the yellowish lighting.

Laureus edition is one true beauty!! Love the blue. but i want a see-thru back ><

• Apprentice
    22 Jul 2011, 3:59 a.m.

I'm sure I heard someone say that while on the IWC tour several years ago!
    Looking forward to the new world order!