• Apprentice
    22 Mar 2024, 1:55 a.m.

Hi all, I am planning on buying my first IWC later this year but I'm really torn between the Portugieser Chronograph (371604) or the Portugieser Automatic 40 (358303). Initially the only one I was considering was the Automatic 40 because I like the simplicity and the 1930s feel of it. Other pros to me are the size and the power reserve. When I went in to try it on, I decided to try on the chronograph too (in rose gold with the slate dial, which I would take in a second but doubt I can sell the old ball and chain on it) and then really liked the versitality of the chronograph. Pros to me are, even though it doesn't fit what I initially had in my head, it does still have the Portugieser 1930s feel, especially from afar. If I go with this one, I'd get a brown alligator strap as well as an olive rubber strap so I can dress it up or down. I'd also get a brown strap for the Automatic 40. Although I was only looking at dress watches I do like that I can have a sport watch too. I'm adding a picture of both on my wrist so you can see how they look.

I'd love to hear your opinions and reasons for or against either model.

• Master
    22 Mar 2024, 12:59 p.m.

Congratulations :o)

Your reasoning to get both is flawless so go ahead - you know you want them.

Both are fantastic choices, but if you really have to choose only one, that is a difficult choice. Both are classics in the IWC lineup, and can be worn confidently for formal occasions.

The choice will come down to whether you want the simplicity of the time only piece, or the added complication of the chronograph. Both look fantastic!

The time only, is a truly great echo of the original 1930s Portuguiser, while the chrono is a great evolution of it.

• Apprentice
    23 Mar 2024, 5:56 a.m.

You nailed it. Decisions decisions...

• Apprentice
    25 Mar 2024, 7:04 p.m.

This is just my personal opinion, but I think the more "technical" Chrono fits in rather better on a wrist already adorned by art.

Both are lovely watches, though, and either would be a great choice.

• Apprentice
    25 Mar 2024, 8:59 p.m.

That's something I hadn't considered. I certainly appreciate the perspective. Thank you.

• Master
    27 Mar 2024, 5:08 a.m.

Yeah well - our typical reply here is, take them both and you're good either way ... ;-)

Jokes aside. We all have been in that situation quite a few times probably.

The good news is, you can't go wrong either way. No bad decisions possible here.

In the end you might end up thinking of the other one again a while after the first one.

Now we really have to make a serious decision, so you need serious advice:

It looks like you prefer the versatility of the Chrono, you mentioned it: You can wear it on a brown alligator or on the green rubber which really is a perfect choice. As David mentioned your already adorned arm that looks quite sportive as well to me, you might be happy with the sportive Chrono that in fact has while being sportive still the classic look and feel of the 1930s original Portugieser watches.

In fact that same Chrono was my 2nd IWC watch more than 20 years ago. I loved and wore it for many years. Just the sportive rubber strap wasn't available back then.

Enjoy your decision and keep us posted about your proceedings. The choice is also a big part of the joys of watch loving.

• Master
    31 Mar 2024, 4:31 p.m.

Please let us know what your final decision is.

• Apprentice
    24 Apr 2024, 2:16 a.m.

Alright, I decided to go with the chronograph for my first IWC. I'm going to pick up a few straps to keep it inreresting. Thank you to everyone who weighed in!

• Master
    24 Apr 2024, 8:54 a.m.
  • Master
    24 Apr 2024, 9:01 a.m.

Great choice ......

• Master
    24 Apr 2024, 4:18 p.m.

Excellent. Wear it in good health.