• Master
    19 Apr 2018, 4:17 p.m.

So what do you all think about the new Pilot Chrono 377724 ?  I love it!  

But unfortunately here's what is going to stop me from buying it. It's just to big for a smaller wrist. Is it time for IWC like numerous other brands to start offering select models in two sizes. This new Pilot would cover a wide range of wrists if it was made in both the 43mm as shown and a reduced 39mm. This appears to be a remake of the fabulous 3706 which I believe was 39mm. IWC does not have a current Pilot Chrono below 40mm in the lineup ( corrections appreciated ). I just got to believe there is a demand for reduced sized IWC's. Other manufactures are stepping up their offerings to include more and more <40mm models. For example, this year at BaselWorld, Tudor introduced from their very successful Heritage Black Bay collection, the Black Bay 58. This is a 39mm version of the popular BB 41mm models. It got wonderful response and reviews. Many comments on other forums to the tune of " Finally- a reduced Heritage Black Bay " .

Do you agree ? Disagree ?   Is It Time ?

Finally...IWC ....please consider the above. Should you agree, I would strongly recommend that you remake the 3705 ( ceramic ) in both sizes. Then inform your employees that there will be mandatory overtime as orders will be pouring in !

Thanks for reading,

Andy/site_media/ckeditor_images/7d890c9e95f6889fe5ea8040077aa1f0.jpg/site_media/ckeditor_images/e3b15f164488e4c344fb896006505aff.jpg

• Graduate
    19 Apr 2018, 6:58 p.m.

I believe there definitely is a market for smaller watches, IWC has reigned in case sizes in the last couple of years. Ceramic big pilots went from 48 to 46mm, ceramic chronographs went from 46 to 44mm and they even make 41mm ceramic mark series watches now. Not as small as the 39mm pieces they used to do but a move in the right direction. They even offer a 36mm pilot watch now. IWC must be following their sales data so time will tell where the trend goes, but I really like where the collection is now. Hopefully the mass market will help them trend sizes down further, because the enthusiast market alone will not be enough to do so.

In the meantime, if you can't wait for them to build this latest chrono in a smaller version, you can always just hunt down a 3706 :)

• Connoisseur
    19 Apr 2018, 7:06 p.m.
    1. Not sure if IWC makes chrono below 40 now.. considering the IWC manufactured movement is already in one of the smaller Portuguese chrono at 41mm..

2. I’d I think the line up is huge.. 3777 has already reached 11 variations.. to add 39mm in for chrono.... just seems to increase the variations that is already quite a lot.

3. I vote to keep IWC abit bigger then the norm.. but then again.. I hardly put on my 3717-02 finding it abit too small from the 3767-11 still different families.. I would prefer the 3777-25..over the 24... the 3270-07 seems to be nicer...but again.. I found it small.

ita not time to make a smaller chrono.. keep it at 43mm

• Graduate
    19 Apr 2018, 7:35 p.m.

I don’t like the modern font on the numerals.

• Master
    19 Apr 2018, 8:35 p.m.

I think the Chronograph is beautiful and in perfect balance. 
    Many smaller and the dial will feel squeezed. 

If if you think it will be too big for you, which I doubt, get a Tribute to Mark XI while you still can. 
    I highly recommend it. 

• Master
    19 Apr 2018, 9:16 p.m.

Andi, one fact though you forgot to mention concerning the Tudor BB 58....it comes with a Tudor manufacture caliber and with a much reasoable price tag then all the Mark XIII variants...not wonder so much acclaims on other forums...
    the Black Bay chrono line also equiped with a manufacture chronograph movement and still at a much competitive price then this new chrono...
    I think at the entry level watches of IWC, such as all the Mark XIII line, there is an accumulating number of brands which seem to offer an intersting alternative for a better bang for the buck...
    Honestly, swaping all the cheap mass produced Sellita movements by the Tudor movements might not be a bad idea...if this happens, I might consider a MT5813-driven chrono tribute to Mark XI....

• Graduate
    19 Apr 2018, 10:21 p.m.

Lovely watch, now I would like to get but its not available to us in Australia, why is this so? another model we cant get  

• Graduate
    20 Apr 2018, 1:35 a.m.
  • Graduate
    20 Apr 2018, 5:48 p.m.

Um..... the font is the same as the original 3705/06 that came out in 1994.... 
    ​​​​​​​

/site_media/ckeditor_images/b709ef1534b97c788e0d8e055b959f0c.jpg

• Master
    20 Apr 2018, 11:17 p.m.

I think the watch looks about perfect, as is the size of 43mm, which would fit my 17cm flat wrist in a wonderful way.

What I don't like is the NATO strap: there is far too much strap for me, making the watch worn look bulky. The picture shown in previous posts is a bit deceiving, the picture shown by me here supports my claim quite convincingly, I'm sure. I think a normal strap would be perfect for this watch.

/site_media/ckeditor_images/9de9e95a8ef6d8a33094e451a85e6a5b.jpeg

Kind regards,
    Paul

• Master
    21 Apr 2018, 12:26 a.m.

/site_media/ckeditor_images/1044b08923a8acff0298765de3911315.jpg
    I love it.  And I think my timing on this one is spot-on. For me this is a great size but at 42mm was a big watch back in the day ;)

• Graduate
    21 Apr 2018, 8:50 p.m.
  • Master
    22 Apr 2018, 10:13 p.m.

For me as a 45 / 46 mm watch wearer and love (small wrists though) it's almost a bit small, but I love it and probably will be in soon. Smaller isn't necessary for me. Small watches lack a little bit the prescence on the wrist. But wrists, hands and arms differ of course. So why not different sizes? But please, don't drop the 43 mm model for a smaller one!

• Graduate
    24 Apr 2018, 1:30 a.m.

Yikes, I guess the whole pilot line is disqualified then :(

maybe the davinci line will yield more attractive options.

• Master
    25 Apr 2018, 5:08 p.m.