• Apprentice
    14 Mar 2024, 4:28 p.m.

Hello to the forum,

i own a unworn Ref 3704 PD Chrono from 1998.The watch was never worn, never serviced. The watch was for more than 20 years in a bank safe. The watch is now running smoothly and does not show any major deviations.

Is it recommendable to perform a small service?
    Thank you for your recommendations.

BR

Carlo

• Master
    14 Mar 2024, 4:37 p.m.

I would send the IWC to an IWC Service Center for a service. After 20 years the lubication is likely dried out. The watch after service we be like new. But, there is an eqully valid argument of "if it's not broken, don't fix it"

• Master
    15 Mar 2024, 12:33 a.m.

If it is running smoothly, and within specs, then I would keep it unserviced and in original condition. If you notice a decline in performance, then that might be a reason for service. But I wouldn't risk having an unworn, all-orginal piece altered unless it was necessary.

• Master
    20 Mar 2024, 9:27 p.m.

Fully agree to Ben:

If it's not broken, don't fix it. No reason to do so.

Congrats on a great piece of IWC history.

• Connoisseur
    20 Mar 2024, 10:45 p.m.

Hi, great watch!

But if this is a vote, I must vote for a service. It makes no difference if the watch has been running or not, after so many years the oils have dried out and if the watch is kept running the mechanism will get damaged by the extra friction. This means that the inevitable service will be more expensive.

Your best way forwards is to let the watch run without winding (or wearing) until it stops and take it to a good watchmaker for cleaning and lubrication. If it just needs clean and lube any competent watchmaker can do it (but not those guys that know only how to change batteries). But an IWC service centre is always the best option. They have the knowledge about your particular model and access to original spare parts.

Please keep us posted about what you do, we are all interested in what happens to a great watch like yours.

Best regards,

Henrik

• Master
    20 Mar 2024, 11:11 p.m.

IWC's service costs are pre-determined, so a complete service for a Valjoux-based movement is already known and takes into account various parts that may be worn and need to be replaced. Therefore, I would not expect, nor have I experienced, any extra charges for parts replacement due to wear. Also, the Valjoux 7750, which it is based on, is so commonplace, replacement parts are easily accessible and inexpensive. Besides, the 7750 is tried and true workhorse that can handle a little wear.

What I am more concerned with is keeping the dial and hands original and the case in unpolished and unmolested condition. There is no telling what damage an undertrained/inexperienced watchmaker might do. And if you do send it to IWC for service, certain parts may be required to be replaced in order for warrantied service to be performed. If there is any chance that the tritium lume on the dial or hands have started to degrade, the dial and hands will have to be replaced with more modern versions that have Luminova instead of tritium. The hands and dial will no longer be original, will look different, and will affect the value of an otherwise mint conditon, very collectible piece.

Like Tilo said, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.