• Apprentice
    22 Oct 2015, 4:33 p.m.

I'm new to this group and looking for help please. I've been given a IWC Cal. 67 Observation Watch, which I believe has some interesting history attached to it.I wondered if it would be possible to verify the story by tracing its origins.

The watch is hard stamped on the rear with the No M 9303 II.KI.

• Master
    22 Oct 2015, 9:39 p.m.

Welcome to the forum.
    There have been several discussions about the observation watches of the Kriegsmarine. A forum search may provide the information you are seeking.

• Connoisseur
    23 Oct 2015, 12:16 a.m.

Congratulations on obtaining this historic watch.
    You can get the movement number and serial number with the help of a watchmaker and then use the "Date Your IWC" application. With that information you can even find out the wholesaler IWC sold the watch to with the help of an extensive post on this Forum that was instituted by a "JimmyR".
    Good luck.

• Apprentice
    15 Dec 2015, 9:35 a.m.

Thanks for your help. Ive managed to open the rear and have located a case number of 1081101, which suggests the watch was manufactured between 1937 /44, which stacks up. I believe the watch was acquired by its last owner in 1945 in unusual circumstances.

The watch comes with an interesting back ground story which i'd like to research. Only problem I don't know where to start.

• Master
    15 Dec 2015, 6:21 p.m.

Spiro,
    As said there is a lot of information on this watch if you use the search tool of the forum ( the spy glass) and type : "cal. 67, military".
    The essention for collectors of this watch is the case numbering. The case number as well as the number on the steel cap inside should be identical to be the "real stuff". You mention a case number : 1081101.
    The movement number is always older and dates often from before 1940.
    The case number 1081101 belongs to the first series of 4 series delivered to Gerl and Schipper in Cologne, Germany. The first series existed of 1500 watches and was delivered from January 13 until December 1, 1943. Gerl and Schipper were civilian whole salers who represented IWC in Germany at that time. They provided the watches to the German Navy ( Kriegsmarine). Another 3 series were delivered to them until November 8, 1944, making a total of 2500 watches. There are few left. Many were lost during action on the war ships. Some were returned and de-nazified by the German Navy "Bund" and got a Nato Stock Number on the case back. Many were " put together" by using the movements and cases and steel caps from different watches and some were denazified by polishing the Swastica on the case back or "k.m." was erased on the dial. An authentic watch has the tripple value of a "marriage".
    Kind regards,
    Adrian,
    (alwaysiwc)

• Connoisseur
    31 Dec 2015, 11:04 p.m.

Are you ready to tell us the back story? This sounds very interesting.

• Apprentice
    20 Jan 2016, 8:33 p.m.

From information provided by the last keeper, the watch was taken from a German FW.200 airplane on the 6th June 1945 and is believed to have belonged to Grand Admiral Doenitz. This is the part which i need to pursue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Apprentice
    20 Jan 2016, 8:45 p.m.

Adrian

Thank you that's a great help, I spoke with a jeweller recently who suggested a speak with Bonhams. I'm not sure if thats the correct route.

• Connoisseur
    22 Jan 2016, 11:57 p.m.

That would be pretty incredible. Good luck with your search. By the way, Gerl and Schipper, or some successor, is still in existence.

• Master
    23 Jan 2016, 6:34 p.m.

Hi Spiro,
    Bonham's will not bring you further.
    The story that Admiral Doenitz could have been the owner is by definition incorrect. The watches did not belong to a person but belonged to the equipment on the war ships and indirectly the Kriegsmarine was the owner.
    There are two persons who have more than average knowledge of these watches. One is the late former curator of the IWC museum : Jürgen King. I have my modest knowledge from his publications. The other is Konrad Knirim in Germany. Konrad wrote an extensive book : Military Timepieces, 150 years Watches and Clocks of German Forces. ISBN 3-89355-232-4.
    In this book he describes not only the different series but also the corresponding pictures and photo's of German military documents. The latter is extremely important because he knows the route to the different German military archives and it is amazing how well many of these documents have been preserved.
    Kind regards,
    Adrian,
    (alwaysiwc).

• Apprentice
    19 Jun 2023, 2:04 p.m.

I have the sister watch - M 9317

Regards, Florian