• Apprentice
    12 May 2023, 3:27 p.m.

This is my first post, I wanted to say hello and ask for help in verifying
    this watch. To me it looks ok, but I was confused by the large discrepancy of
    serial numbers in the mechanism and case number. I haven't come across a watch
    like this anywhere with an 18K version and a diameter of about 36.6mm. Could
    it be that they got an order from Sweden for commemorative watches, gifts to
    thank them for 25 years of service, and took an early made case from the
    warehouse and supplemented it with the movement ? This is just a theory, as
    the watch looks compact and the difference in numbers is very large. Thank you
    in advance for your help.

• Master
    13 May 2023, 2:15 a.m.

Just WOW!

The condition of your watch is spectacular and a little bit unusual!

It looks fine to me and I can give the following additional information.....

The movement dates from 1963.
    The case was most probably produced and delivered around 1955.

I have no explanation to such a large gap in production , which is usually two
    to three years apart.

• Apprentice
    13 May 2023, 5:50 a.m.

Mark, thanks for the feedback. Earlier, before I got here I asked a question
    on the Omega Forum whether this watch is a franken and we also could not deal
    with this age difference of case and movement. I would have given up and
    treated the watch as utilitarian, but the fact that the watch as a whole looks
    like a unity does not give me peace of mind. Maybe someone else will have to
    add on this topic ?

• Master
    13 May 2023, 9:33 a.m.

Some of the gold manual sharkfin watches show a similar anomaly, albeit with
    cases produced in the very early '70's...they are also all in good order and
    have period correct original dials, just like your sample..showing a design in
    plum correlation to thier presentation.

• Apprentice
    13 May 2023, 9:56 a.m.

Thanks Catherine for this post. Do you think this watch could have been so
    assembled in the original? I have one original IWC with manual cal 89
    movement, but here everything is fine in the movement correlation with the
    dial case.

• Master
    13 May 2023, 10:03 a.m.

Original equally clean dials in a style period to the watches presentation
    would not be plentiful.

• Apprentice
    13 May 2023, 11:47 a.m.

My English skills are so poor that now, after the last post, I no longer
    understand anything

• Master
    13 May 2023, 12:54 p.m.

The watch presentation last date is post mid '60's.. so is the dial
    style...whilst someone could have a case and mvmnt foriegn to each
    iother...also having that specific dial is a stretch....unless youre a company
    with your hands on whatever direction post late '60's took you.

• Connoisseur
    15 May 2023, 9:15 p.m.

Hi Skand,

The watch looks perfectly legit to me, with my limited knowledge. I have a
    steel ref 500 with a cal 852 movement from 1952 that looks just the same. If
    you do not speak Swedish,the inscription is for General Motors Sweden,
    (Nordiska = Nordic, that is Sweden, Norway and Denmark) but you
    had probably figured that out already. May I ask for the hidden name? A
    relative?

Best regards,

Henrik in Stockholm

• Apprentice
    17 May 2023, 9:40 a.m.

IWC Caliber 853 is a well-known movement produced by the International Watch
    Company (IWC) in the mid-20th century. It is a hand-wound mechanical movement
    that has been used in various IWC watch models.

To verify the originality of an IWC watch with Caliber 853, here are some
    steps you can take:

1. Research the watch: Gather information about the specific model of the watch that contains the Caliber 853 movement. Look for details such as the case shape, dial design, hands, and any unique features or markings associated with that particular model.

2. Examine the watch: Carefully inspect the watch for any signs of authenticity or inconsistencies. Look for matching serial numbers and reference numbers on the case, as well as any hallmarks or logos that indicate the watch is indeed an IWC.

3. Seek professional expertise: If you have doubts about the watch's originality, it is advisable to consult with an expert or a reputable watchmaker who specializes in IWC watches. They will have the knowledge and experience to examine the watch thoroughly and provide an accurate assessment of its authenticity.

4. Check the movement: The IWC Caliber 853 movement has specific characteristics that can help determine its authenticity. These may include the movement's finishing, engravings, and any unique features or markings associated with it. A trained expert can examine the movement and compare it to known authentic examples to verify its originality.

5. Documentation and provenance: If you have any accompanying documentation, such as original papers, receipts, or service records, they can provide valuable information about the watch's history and authenticity. Verify the authenticity of these documents as well.

• Master
    14 Jul 2023, 12:34 a.m.

" Manual-Winding Movement: The CAL 853 is a manual-winding movement, meaning it requires regular winding by the wearer to keep it running. This traditional winding method adds a sense of connection and involvement with the timepiece."

Correction

Cal 853 is an automatic movement..