• 20 Feb 2015, 3:55 p.m.

I have been asked to post this on behalf of IWC:

Obituary for Jürgen King

We are deeply saddened by the tragic news of the death of our former colleague Jürgen King on 22 January 2015 at the age of 72. For all collectors and friends of the IWC brand, “IWC, International Watch Co. Schaffhausen”, written by Jürgen King together with Hans-Friedrich Tölke, and published in 1986, remains to this day an indispensable reference volume for any and all questions regarding the history of IWC.

Jürgen’s passion was watchmaking. He was born on 9 April 1943 in Schramberg, Schwarzwald (Germany), back then a hub for watchmaking, and he received his master craftsman’s certificate in watchmaking in 1966. Following an apprenticeship in watchmaking at Junghans, he worked in an experimental laboratory for quartz watch technology, becoming a development manager in 1967. In 1971, Jürgen joined IWC Schaffhausen as Quality Manager. Just a few years later, he had already taken over as Technical Director, a position he would fulfil with the utmost dedication for over 20 years. In this capacity, he was involved in major IWC horological innovations, such as the Grande Complication, launched in 1990, and Il Destriero Scafusia, “The Warhorse of Schaffhausen”, launched in 1993. In the course of his work for IWC, Jürgen became a distinguished expert in the field of antimagnetic and nonmagnetic watches. He was instrumental in the development of the world’s first watch able to withstand any magnetic field – the Ingenieur Automatic “500,000 A/m” as well as the development of nonmagnetic diver’s watches for mine clearance divers in the German Armed Forces.

As an avid collector of IWC watches, he was also heavily involved in the construction of the first IWC museum, which opened in 1993, and he also contributed his expertise to the opening of the new museum in 2007. In the final years of his 36-year career at IWC, Jürgen found a new passion in the various aspects of the history of our company and its watches.

For all friends and collectors of IWC watches, Jürgen King will always be remembered as an author and an expert. We are thankful for his many years of service and for the work he has done for IWC, and for this, we honour his memory.

• Master
    20 Feb 2015, 4:06 p.m.

Our thoughts go out to family and friends.

I will tonight take the BOOK of the shelf, and remember, the contribution that he has made to IWC and in particular to us Collectors, in co-authoring the book.

• Master
    20 Feb 2015, 4:26 p.m.

Bad news.

Not only the BOOK is a milestone of IWC history, the description of vintage movements in the WATCH as well.

This was the first page of a very interesting series by Jürgen King.

Regards

HEBE

derjonk.de/lizard/king.jpg

• Connoisseur
    20 Feb 2015, 5:20 p.m.

Another GREAT guy leaves us, my condolences to his family.
    The information that he took with him, cannot be replaced... His knowledge on IWC watches was second to none. A great loss to us all.
    He may have left IWC in anger, yet he was still there to help on specific questions.
    God Speed Jürgen, and as my friend Hajo once wrote...
    Fair winds and following seas.

Jimmy

• Connoisseur
    20 Feb 2015, 6:07 p.m.

Another light dimmed on on earth; another star shining bright in the firmament.

Godspeed, Jürgen.

Regards,
    Adam

• Master
    20 Feb 2015, 9:26 p.m.

Sad news indeed. Jürgen King left us a lot of knowledge about our favorite brand. His book and articles are indispensible for the vintage collector.
    He will not be forgotten.

• Master
    20 Feb 2015, 11:07 p.m.

A talented historian who I fondly think of as Professor Jürgen King. So much knowledge he has shared and we will miss him.

Deepest condolences.

• Master
    21 Feb 2015, 8:03 a.m.

I'm so sorry to hear of this great loss. He was a great font of knowledge for IWC collectors.

My thoughts go to his family and friends.

Nelson

• Master
    21 Feb 2015, 10:32 a.m.

What a great loss! I'm sad to hear that.
    My thoughts are with his beloved ones.
    Meeting him was a great honor, you could feel his enormous passion for what he did and was talking about. A very nice guy he was! May he never be forgotten.
    farm8.staticflickr.com/7433/16573778016_dfe55ae02c_b.jpg
    farm8.staticflickr.com/7395/16573779856_43e63edf73_b.jpg

• Master
    21 Feb 2015, 9:22 p.m.

He made a significant contribution to the development of IWC. I am sure he will be sadly missed by all who knew him.

• Master
    22 Feb 2015, 5:58 p.m.

Without Jürgen King, I can not imagine that IWC still would use its rich history as it does until this very day.
    Without him, I doubt that many facts and pecularities about rare IWC watches, the history of the "Schaffhauser", the technical achievements and the significance of the legendary Archives would be known by us.
    Vielen Dank Herr King!
    Adrian,
    (alwaysiwc).

• Apprentice
    22 Feb 2015, 7:44 p.m.

I cannot add to the comments made by others but to also express my thanks and gratitude for all the knowledge that Herr King has shared with the collector world. Regards, George