• Connoisseur
    14 Mar 2012, 4:42 p.m.

The Test of Time
    by Michael Friedberg

media1.iwc.com/site_media/uploads/images/2012/03/14/Hauptbild.jpg

A finely-made watch must excel in both everyday and adverse environments. To be assured of this, IWC has devoted a state-of-the-art laboratory in Schaffhausen so that its watches meet rigorous standards.

Inside, a skilled materials engineer, Dominic Forster, heads a team of seven who devise and then implement all sorts of challenging tests.

The idea is to ascertain that every part of each watch will work perfectly even when subjected to abuse. The components undergo intentional torture. They are heated, jarred, pushed and pulled. To accomplish this systematic stress, IWC’s extensive testing laboratory has ingenious equipment that stretches watch components to their limits. The lab is not simply a place where watches are measured to ensure that exacting tolerances are met. Instead, it is where every part is used, abused, inspected and then evaluated to extraordinary standards.

media1.iwc.com/site_media/uploads/images/2012/03/14/1.jpg

The watches here in many ways seem like dummies in simulated car accidents. Some survive, and some don’t. When they don’t survive, re-engineering occurs so that on the next collision, they will.

Upon entering the lab, there’s first a disarming array of lamps on stands. Dials and straps are placed under these lights, to ascertain that they can withstand sunlight and UV light. On the other side of this room, there are machines that simultaneously roast watch components with extreme heat or subject them to excess humidity.

Other machines, looking suspiciously like science fair contraptions, constantly move the watch components. For example, they test the wear of automatic rotors for sometimes as long as 3,000 hours at accelerated testing conditions. Still other devices produce impact tests, intended to simulate seven years of life. Since light, heat, impact and motion aren’t deemed sufficient, another machine subjects components to magnetic forces up to 600,000 A/m.

media1.iwc.com/site_media/uploads/images/2012/03/14/2.jpg

Every new watch model is tested to its limits. If it can survive Herr Forster’s planned threats, it should thrive well in the real world. All tests are “in the raw”, where whole movements are exposed and dismantled and then the myriad parts, after being subjected to abuse, are checked for corrosion, wear, oiling and precision timekeeping. To accomplish this, there are also four highly-experienced watchmakers on the staff of the testing laboratory.

Most watch companies check their cases for water resistance. But few, if any, check individual case parts beyond measurement. However, IWC checks repeatedly for tolerances in simulated use. There is even an elaborate machine which pushes in the pushers on chronographs, done 10,000 times for the reset pusher and 20,000 times for the start/stop pusher. If the pushers can withstand that abuse, they might easily survive on the wrist of the discerning watch collector. Even the screws for the crowns are subjected to tests.

media3.iwc.com/site_media/uploads/images/2012/03/14/3.jpg

Among the more interesting machines is a pendulum, which does look a bit like its ominous namesake in an Edgar Allan Poe short story. It tests the equivalent of a one meter drop of a watch on a wooden floor. Sports watches like Pilots, Aquatimers and Ingenieurs get tested up to 100,000 impacts which simulate sporty activities like playing tennis, golf or downhill biking. Watches as sophisticated as tourbillons are taken apart after testing to inspect the damage.

This laboratory develops and implements testing protocols for IWC’s cases and movements to a degree that is certainly unique within the industry. Herr Forster has essentially built his own science experiment laboratory. To document test results, a high-speed camera is utilized together with several microscopes, plus a digital light box. The budget for testing machinery can be large: the high-speed camera itself costs in excess of 100,000 CHF. Other machines need to be constructed by Herr Forster and his staff, because there are no industry methodologies for testing the vast array of necessary tests. However, all tests check that everything occurs within specified standards. To the extent that the industry standards are available, ISO, DIN or NIHS is used; if not, IWC develops its own standards or works within Richemont guidelines.

media2.iwc.com/site_media/uploads/images/2012/03/14/4.jpg

Producing a watch is not simply designing and making a movement, and placing it into a case. A company like IWC, which strives to attain the highest possible quality standards, relies on people like Herr Forster and his highly-mechanized testing laboratory. The machinery, tests and standards –in fact, the lab in and of itself— may well lead the industry.

This special laboratory is hidden away from the public, but it is reassuring that every watch has been exhaustively tested under tight controls and by gifted engineers. In fact, an IWC watch hasn’t simply been tested: it’s been well-cooked, boiled and kicked around. And that’s good news.

media2.iwc.com/site_media/uploads/images/2012/03/14/5.jpg

• Master
    14 Mar 2012, 4:51 p.m.

I need the watch winder in the last picture!

• Master
    14 Mar 2012, 4:58 p.m.

Michael, once again you outdid yourself.
    I find this to be very interesting and information that should be further disseminated. IWC should share this with all their retail outlets as it speaks to the quality value aspect. IMHO.
    Look forward to the next edition.
    Regards. Kevin

• Master
    14 Mar 2012, 4:59 p.m.

Alan, you'll need a walk in safe!

• Master
    14 Mar 2012, 5:05 p.m.

I think they call it "The Cyclops" Alan, but you can remind your birthday to MF and he can arrange it for you I believe ;).
    Thanks for the article Michael, highly appreciated as usual.

• Master
    14 Mar 2012, 5:24 p.m.

very informative thank you.

(alan, you want the winder... and i sure could use the watches - especially that PPC!)

regards, thang

• Apprentice
    14 Mar 2012, 5:30 p.m.
  • Master
    14 Mar 2012, 6:38 p.m.
  • Master
    14 Mar 2012, 6:45 p.m.

This was informative article, Michael! I will look forward to your promised, ongoing series!

• Connoisseur
    14 Mar 2012, 7:24 p.m.

Very good read and nice pictures of the tools.

Kind regards,
    Marinus

• Master
    14 Mar 2012, 8:37 p.m.

Very interesting indeed. "I don't know anything about torture, but I know what I like".

Kind regards,
    Paul

• Insider
    14 Mar 2012, 8:39 p.m.

Ok, so maybe it is a little silly of me to worry about my watch when I get caught in the rain : ) Bring it on Mother Nature!

• Master
    14 Mar 2012, 8:41 p.m.

What a good article. I think Boutiques should have copies for distribution with Watch International.

• Master
    14 Mar 2012, 8:53 p.m.

Very very interesting and informative indeed!!
    Thank you Michael.

• Insider
    14 Mar 2012, 10:23 p.m.

Thanks Michael. I only which you had time to write more like this.

• Master
    14 Mar 2012, 10:28 p.m.

Interesting information Michael and those pictures come close to art. Thanks for sharing.

• Apprentice
    14 Mar 2012, 10:48 p.m.

Thank you for sharing! The testing that goes into these pieces is an artform on it's own.

• Master
    14 Mar 2012, 11:01 p.m.

The testing is indeed thorough and state of the art. After visiting elements of the testing facility in Schaffhausen it is indeed impressive. However. Not all watches encounter exactly the same testing regimen. Wouldnt it be a fantastic table to view each reference number noting which test that model has passed with flying colours. (Yes Collectors are odd species). I am sure the ceramic case examples struggle through one of the tests mentioned.