• Master
    22 Nov 2023, 5:36 p.m.

I have a little story to tell ...

It all started with the idea to get me a GST Perpetual Calendar (Ref 3756-13) for my upcoming 50th birthday on 2nd february 2024.

I have always liked this watch and unfortunately have let far too many good offers pass by.

Now, a few months before my birthday, I was horrified to find that the prices of GST had risen enormously - especially regarding the ones with my always preferred black dial. And this despite the fact that the prices of many other models are falling. But finally I found one where I could negotiate a reasonable price and a collectors friend who could pick it up for me.

So here are the first pics:

… but as you can see: The GST is on a rubber strap. At first it did not bother me. But it was another collector friend who said then: „Now we need to find a bracelet". He was right - a GST PP has to have a bracelet.

Thanks another-another collector friend (I kept them busy) - who has got all the lists - I got the Ref number of the bracelet to ask if it is still available in Schaffhausen. So it was - but then the first collector friend I was talking about sent me a link to an Aquatimer (Ref 3719-28) for sale and said: „My recommendation would be to buy this Aquatimer and have the bracelet" …

So here it is

... now I have a bracelet for my GST and an AT for the lonely rubber strap ...

…. But dear readers …

this is not the end of the story - still not,
    because on the half way of the journey - it happened during my search for the AT that I saw a posting on a forum with this beauty…. It was love at the first sight. A Portugieser Classic (Ref 3904-03)

… so what can I say. At first I tried to forget even the idea to go for it. But at this time it not only was the Covid fever which took me in possesion … And when I asked one of my closest collectors friends for advice -he said nothing, just sent me a picture of the golden Portugieser Chrono Classic he owns …

Guess what happened next ….

… the seller and IWC enthusiast we quickly agreed on a good price and ... yes ...

But next year will not only be my 50th birthday. In 2024 it will be already ten years I met the Collector guys the first time in Schaffhausen to get my CF3. I want to thank everybody in this group for friendship and sharing the passion over the years. And too many passed away during this time. But I'm looking forward to many many following years with all of you - to deepen further friendship, cameraderie and passion.

• Graduate
    22 Nov 2023, 5:45 p.m.

Congratulations! Wonderful additions to your collection and a great story. Yes, sometimes everything matches together and there are great opportunities which are not to be missed.

I especially love your white Portugieser Chronograph Classic.

Philipp

• Master
    22 Nov 2023, 7:32 p.m.

Fantastic additions Christian!

GST Perpetual is stunning

Portuguise Chrono Classic is.......Classic

The Aquatimer Chronograph is a wonderful watch too. I have a feeling that one day, you will be tempted to put it back on bracelet ;-)

• Master
    22 Nov 2023, 10:50 p.m.

Not often we get a triple reveal and then told I'm such a great story.

It's another credit to this forum and the comorade that exists among the collectors - the support (some call it "enabling") that you got along this journey.

• Master
    23 Nov 2023, 12:03 a.m.

What a great post & spectacular reveal! That is the way to celebrate a milestone birthday!!! I was an attendee for the collectors' meeting where we received our CF3's. It was a pleasure meeting other forum friends and you for the first time in person. You are exactly right...this is an extraordinary community of which it is an honor to be a part.

• Connoisseur
    23 Nov 2023, 11:20 a.m.

Congratulations Christian! That's not only a stellar trio to commemorate your upcoming 50th, but also three terrific stories that speak to the incredible bonds of friendship from our community!

Wear them in good health my friend!

• Master
    23 Nov 2023, 2:48 p.m.

Christian,

what can I say? Awesome, awesome, awesome!!!

What a (TRIPLE!!!) reveal here on the Forum! Someone said it doesn't happen too often... I'm asking: Did we ever have this before in over 22 years here on the Forum?

I remember that memorable CF meeting back in 2014 where you first joined our group and picked um your CF3 as if it were yesterday (or a month ago). Regarding the pictures: we were all so much younger then ...

I'm glad I could join your journey with some small support and that you made all of it. Even the tough posting here on the Forum with pictures and text, which can be a daunting task sometimes.

Hope to see you soon again, Christian. And hope to see your beautiful watches soon too.

Btw. founda picture with a happy CF3 owner at the pickup day in the Schaffhausen boutique!

• Master
    23 Nov 2023, 3:41 p.m.

Wow - didn't know that picture ;)

yes - like yesterday ... time flies - good to observe it on our watches ;)

• Master
    24 Nov 2023, 11:51 a.m.

Oh wow, what an awesome story! Huge congrats on three exceptional pieces!

Kind regards,

Cinq

• Master
    24 Nov 2023, 11:55 a.m.

Holy ghost - man, that is something to be thankful for this weekend 😊

Maybe the best post of the year Christian - and a triple reveal is indeed rare. Such a classy reveal is even rarer Sir, so big, big, big congrats my friend - those three are all very much representative of the best from Schaffhausen, and that Sport Chrono is just sooooo beautiful. Enjoy them all😍

Cheers,

Skule

• Connoisseur
    24 Nov 2023, 12:05 p.m.

Fantastic story and great addition Christian! Really happy you sticked to you original idea to go for the GST PPC! Well done!!

Patrick

• Master
    24 Nov 2023, 12:06 p.m.

Quite a trifecta for your 50th! It's great you are able to celebrate with such awesome pieces. Big congratulations to you!

And I quite agree with your sentiments regarding the wonderful people who frequent this Forum. Enjoy the three new pieces.

Nelson

• Master
    24 Nov 2023, 10:37 p.m.

Huge congratulations, Christian, fantastic story and beautiful watches! I actually really like the GST perpetual on the black rubber strap - one of the coolest and classiest sports perpetuals of all time! At least you have the option to easily switch it off with the Aquatimer. There are other brands that consider the perpetual calendar chronograph to be a "grand complication" -great score!

• Master
    28 Nov 2023, 6:38 p.m.

Fantasic additions to your collection. Thanks for sharing and wear them in good health.

• Master
    4 Dec 2023, 4:05 a.m.

Triple congrats. 3 Beautys.

• Master
    11 Dec 2023, 8:48 p.m.

Congratulations on the Trifecta, all great choices and an amazing way to celebrate your 50th!

• Apprentice
    16 Dec 2023, 6:03 p.m.

Thank you for sharing your exciting collection additions and the great story behind them. Indeed, seizing those perfect opportunities is key. The white Portugieser Chronograph Classic is a particular favorite of mine.

• Apprentice
    25 Dec 2023, 7:11 a.m.

GST Perpetual is absolutely stunning, the Portuguise Chrono Classic is truly timeless, and the Aquatimer Chronograph is a remarkable watch as well. I sense that, one day, you might be tempted to switch it back to the bracelet ;-)

• Apprentice
    27 Jan 2024, 9:55 a.m.

Embarking on the quest for the perfect timepiece to mark your 50th birthday, you set your sights on the coveted GST Perpetual Calendar. Despite the hurdles of soaring prices and unexpected turns, your passion led you to unexpected treasures--a chance encounter with an Aquatimer and a love-at-first-sight moment with a Portugieser Classic.