• Apprentice
    12 Dec 2016, 2:48 p.m.

Would like to know what exactly does IWC warranty covered? I've read through my warranty booklet and it doesn't state which parts are actually covered. Have been told by IWC that it doesn't cover bracelet. Meaning even if I found anything wrong with my bracelet that is not cause by me or carelessness in anyway I still need to pay for the service if I send in to IWC.

What is your experience with IWC in this matter?

• Master
    12 Dec 2016, 4:04 p.m.

Are you sure you were told bracelet and not strap? I read here that leather straps are always for the customer, but I'm not sure about a steel bracelet. That could be within the package with the case. Anyhow, for both case and bracelet I never needed the warranty, and for minor issues with movements I never needed to pay as they were fixed within the 2 year period after the acquisition.

Kind regards,
    Paul

• Apprentice
    12 Dec 2016, 4:59 p.m.

Hi Paul,

Yes, Stainless Steel bracelet. Was told by three different staffs from IWC that because the bracelet aren't covered by warranty so I will need to pay for the service no matter it's defects or cause by me. And they will have no issue if it's the movement defect. I wonder is it a standard across all or most watch brands.

Somehow I wonder what do they mean by "The watch is covered by this IWC International Warranty against defects in manufacturing and materials." in the product warranty booklet. Isn't the bracelet also produce in high standard by IWC? Why it isn't covered?

• Master
    12 Dec 2016, 8:51 p.m.

Calvin - bracelets and straps are, for the most part, (and this is true for the majority of watch companies) manufactured for IWC by someone else. Depending on what country you purchased the watch in and where you reside, you should be afforded some kind of warranty on the bracelet. May I ask what your issue is and where you live?

• Apprentice
    12 Dec 2016, 10:43 p.m.

Hi Ben,

That what I've always thought too, and I haven't have any issue with my previous Omega before so it's new to me that watch company have this kind of policy.

I bought my Aquatimer in Germany from a authorised dealer in Titilis recently, had it adjust to fit my wrist size and left in a hurry as I'm running out of time. Partly because I've taken sometime deciding on a Omega or a IWC that the sales person recommended. However I soon found out that there are some white markings on the extra links that they've given me. After I returned to Singapore where I live, I make a call to the Singapore office and the representative advised me to bring it down to one of their boutique to have it checked.

At the boutique the sales person told me they will need to have it send down to their service center with the whole watch to have it check and will advice me after. But I soon found out that I will need to pay for whatever service they do to restore the extra links to it original conditions. When I asked what is that so, the reason is there is no warranty on the bracelet itself. Although I rejected the idea of sending my whole watch after that, the sales person kindly took down my contact details so she could get back to me after she consult the right person from the office on my case. Which she return the next afternoon with the same conclusion.

Although I mentioned to her I won't be bringing my watch down again for service, I make another call to their office in Singapore after I have some question that came up in my mind.

Long story short. After the representative found out that it's the extra link that I'm having problem with, she promise to consult the correct person again and will get back to me before confirming that the bracelet is not under warranty. When I called back three days later, the other representative also confirmed that if I send my watch down for removing the markings on the extra links I will need to pay as the bracelet isn't under warranty.

Apologies for the long story. In the end I still have not send my watch as I seriously see no point that I need to pay to service the extra links that I don't need now, and it isn't even my fault in the first place. if I do want them to be service, I suppose I will do it when it's time that my watch need to be send in for servicing.

• Master
    13 Dec 2016, 2:16 a.m.

Some 20 years ago I found out that one link of my titanium bracelet was a bit darker than the rest. I took it to the AD, who sent it to Schaffhausen. A few weeks later I got it back by mail, in good order and at no cost.

Just for reference: what is the estimated cost you are looking at? It was you who didn't check the watch properly when buying it, you were in a hurry. If the cost is relatively small, I would bite the bullet, pay, and get on with my life.

Kind regards,
    Paul

• Apprentice
    13 Dec 2016, 5:32 a.m.

Hi Paul,

That was 20 years ago, I guess their system or policy changed? I get to know from their staffs that just quite recently IWC customers were able to go to their service center to have their watch checked, but not now.

It doesn't matter to be how much I need to pay for it, because, they are extra links. Unless in the event that I put on weight or I need to sell the watch, which I highly doubt so. So I don't think I would want to pay for something that I don't need eventually. Agreed that it's partly my fault that I didn't checked everything properly in the first place. But to be frank, even if i'm not in hurry, it wouldn't come across my mind that I will need to check the extra links too, now I know.

To me it's lesson learned. I'm still satisfied with my purchase, although the salesman could have done it in a more professional manner, I might still get an IWC than an Omega back then. I'm not pondering over if I should get it serviced, because I can always have it done up in future when I send in my watch for servicing, it's not a big deal.

The purpose of this post is to find out why a bracelet isn't covered in warranty, because I always thought it is covered since there are mechanism within the bracelet that defects could come up like the watch movement. Hopefully someone from IWC could offer a good reason?

• Master
    13 Dec 2016, 8:22 a.m.

Hi Calvin, I can only tell what I think is realistic: if the watch and bracelet are brand new it should be perfect so make them check it at no cost, don't ask too much about 'intention' in the warranty text, but explain the logic/expectation you have and demand for!

The warranty statements are written by legal people so the outcome is logical: there is always some slack for the manufacturer (and I'm not being cynical about that!).

You shouldn't care who manufactures the bracelet etc. Just demand what (at least I think) is logical, get it checked and if needed fixed by IWC. For a leather strap that is different, not for a > €1.000,- bracelet IMHO.

Regards,

Bob

• Apprentice
    13 Dec 2016, 9:07 a.m.

Hi Bob,

I would have let them check if they haven't tell me upfront that I will have to bare the cost because it's not under any warranty, even if it's not my fault that there are markings. For the reasons stated in my replies to Paul and Ben, I think it's unnecessary to send in.

I don't really care who manufacture the bracelet as long the quality of it is according to IWC standards, but it bare IWC name on it so the responsibilities should be theirs? And again, my intentions of this post is hopefully with the help of people with good knowledge in this forum to find out the reason why IWC don't covered their own bracelet. It's not my intention to question or debate if this policy is right or wrong. Be it IWC or some other watch companies.

• Master
    14 Dec 2016, 7:52 a.m.

Calvin, I believe your bracelet would be covered under warranty. The question is weather you have a manufacturing defect or cosmetic damage sustained after manufacture. I agree with you that it is probably not worth the postage to find out. But, if you do send your watch in for any other reason before the warranty is up, you might as well send the extra links along as well and see.