• Apprentice
    10 Mar 2011, 10:55 p.m.

Hi everyone, I am getting married possibly in the next 18 months if all goes to plan. My wife to be is getting me an enagagement present which will be a watch. At first she was going to buy me a rolex datejust but i did some research and then it moved over to the Panerai range but after months of searching online and hours and hours at looking at shop windows I have finally found the watch i have been looking for......the IWC Portuguese Automatic range. Iv still not decided which ref I will go for but am torn between the IW500114 (steel case with gold hands) and IW500113 (18ct red gold case). I have been looking online in the search to find the best price and of course trying to be sure I dont buy a fake and have come across anouther watch which looks identical to the IW500113 but with a different ref no IW500101. I am falling to see the difference between the two. Are the movements different or is it a fake?

• Master
    10 Mar 2011, 11:35 p.m.

I don't think you need to worry about the reference #. There may be a subtle difference. The main reference is 5001. The last 3 digits typically refer to a dial, or case variation - such as steel, white gold, rose gold, platinum, etc. In this case, the 01 and 13 are similar - I am not sure of the exact difference.

Just be sure to buy from an Authorized IWC dealer. That is important. IWC offers a 2-year Manufacturer's Warranty - and the authorized retailer can help you resolve any issues you may have with the watch. Authorized dealers have "too much at stake" to do anything less than offer truthful, and high quality service.

Congrats on your engagement.

• Master
    11 Mar 2011, 8:17 a.m.

The 500101 is 18 carat Rose gold, the 500113 is 18 carat red gold and as of 2010 replaces the Rose gold variant. All models have the same movement no matter what the case is made of. So it then becomes a matter of choice and budget. Do not rule out the White gold variant as it's more subtle and does not attract the wrong type of addition than a red or Rose gold version would. The same applies to a datejust Rolex and so many people know that the Daydate Rolex is made from precious metals only.

If you decide on the 5001 series then I am more than happy to say that I love it and I love the fact that I can wear what I want anyway in a week and then put the 5001 after 6 days and it's still going and keeping good time. That to me is the real appeal of it and the fact that not every other person with a good watch has an IWC on their wrist or at home.

Have a great wedding and a good life together and enjoy which ever watch you choose and wear in good health.

• Master
    11 Mar 2011, 8:19 a.m.

Wrong type of attention (not wrong type of addition)

• Apprentice
    11 Mar 2011, 7:15 p.m.

Thanks Greg that helps me alot and puts my mind at ease. You are right about not many people wearing IWC watches and that is something I like even more. A a person who really knows and loves watches will appreciate the craftmensship that goes inside a IWC watch. I looked at the white gold case IW500106 you stated which looks beautiful and was wondering whether it was possible to change the colour of the watches face. Also do you know if the current 5001 range are produced in limited no's or for mass production? I looked at anouther website called www.gregsteer.net and it displayed some of the Portuguese range limited to a production of 2000 pieces (varients platinum, gold, steel) introduced yr2000 and 500 pieces in platinum introduced yr2004.

Thanks for the wedding wishes.

• Apprentice
    11 Mar 2011, 7:17 p.m.

Thank you for help and thanks for the engagement wishes.