• 26 Jun 2014, 7:59 p.m.

Dr. Nelson Herring in many ways is a 21st century Renaissance Man. He is a man of many talents and interests. He is what Americans call a Southern Gentleman. Nelson is always self-effacing and, as he says, “I'm uncomfortable being in the limelight. The last thing I would want would be to have anyone think I'm showy”.

But also Nelson is an IWC watch collector par excellence. And if he feels awkward talking about himself, it's all the more reason that we need to talk about him.

By profession, Nelson is a dentist. His interests surpass though his scientific prowess and extend to the aesthetic. He enjoys gardening and oil painting, as well as photography. But mostly he loves watches, and especially IWC.

His Father bought a Mark XII IWC watch in the mid-1990s. Until then, Nelson had some IWC catalogs but never had seen nor handled an actual IWC watch. But this was the start of a lifelong relationship collecting IWC watches.

What really excited Nelson was not just the Mark XII, but also the impending entrée into an entirely new world. Through the Collectors' Forum on IWC's website, Nelson learned about many IWC watches, IWC's history and he made countless friends. As he relays, the camaraderie of collectors is “what it's all about” and “the friendships are amazing”.

Nelson's IWC collecting then “just happened”. But what he purchased involved serious goals and well-honed aesthetic values. He loves the search for the highest quality and only the best examples. His favorite IWCs are his iconic Mark 11 and his Jubilee Portuguese watches. As he says, these watches have “perfect design and proportions”. He also admires the script signature International Watch Co. on the Jubilee's dial.

Nelson's interests extend to contemporary IWC watches as well. He is particularly eager to receive in early Fall 2014 his limited edition, personally numbered IWC Collector's Forum Pilot's Chronograph. It represents the IWC classic tradition in a modern watch, but also it stands for Nelson's long standing and close friendships with so many collectors.

In fact, Nelson's rose gold IWC minute repeater, now being shown in the IWC Museum, represents especially Nelson's friendships with collectors. Early on, Nelson owned a yellow gold IWC minute repeater, on the advice of another collector from Belgium who Nelson met through the IWC internet forum and who raved about this model. It was good advice, and the watch has been highly valued.

i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n558/michaelfriedberg/IW524005_Front_zps677f8fd9.jpg
    However, another close friend and IWC collector owned the rose gold Ref. 5240 Portuguese Minute Repeater number 48. This friend purchased it for his 48th birthday, and wanted to sell it. Nelson had to buy it because, as he says, “the watch was beautiful but collecting makes friends. This watch is a link to a friendship.”

The IWC Museum in Schaffhausen asked Nelson to share for a year his Portuguese Minute Repeater. By itself, this is indeed a special watch. First produced in 1995 in 250 examples in rose gold (plus 250 in yellow gold and 50 in platinum), its movement is based on IWC's pocket watch calibre 952. To that movement, IWC added a 34 piece system of cams, wheels, springs hammers, and snails for the repeater functions. The jewel count more than triples, to 54, and the movement's height increases from 3.2mm to 7.55mm. The end result, calibre 95290, far exceeds its watchmaking sophistication: hours, quarter hours and minutes are told via melodious sound.
    i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n558/michaelfriedberg/IW524005_Back_zps6bcba10e.jpg

Nelson believes that he was asked to share his watch publicly because the watch is far more than an iconic piece and more than a beautiful watch that also is an example of haute horologie at its finest. More than its harmonious time-telling, this watch –no. 48 of IWC Reference 5240 in rose gold-- tells a story.

Dr. Herring's IWC minute repeater represents collecting and, above all else, friendships. Its story is one of how Nelson wanted to have a watch from one of his closest friends, a friend who he met through a mutual love of watch collecting. It is a world filled with fine watches and equally great friendships.

Another good friend vouches for Nelson by saying, “he really extends himself, reaching out to keep in touch and letting others share his interest and enthusiasm”.

• Master
    26 Jun 2014, 8:10 p.m.

I am proud to count Nelson as one of my friends who I met here on the Forum. We often talk to each other via phone not only about IWC, but also about his many other interests. I have been fortunate too to share time with Nelson at Collectors' meetings in Schaffhausen, at SIHH ,and at events at the IWC Boutique in NYC. MF captures very well the nature of this Southern Gentlemen.

I am also proud to have seen his collection a few years ago. It is a memory I will cherish.

Michael, thanks for sharing this with us.

• 26 Jun 2014, 8:35 p.m.

Great story, Nelson, a man with multiple talents. Loved reading the article of that special watch.

• Master
    26 Jun 2014, 10:05 p.m.

Nicely told story, Mike. I was happy to read this article about Nelson, who is a real gentleman and one of the fine people I have met through IWC Forum.

I first met Nelson at a Collectors Meeting in Schaffhausen. We were climbing the steps to the Munot. He made it up just fine. I, a good bit older and heavier, had to pause part way up to catch my breath.

I remember getting back to the hotel and being greeted by an excited reception manager who told me that my wife had called from the US with a message that our grandtwins had just been born. Nelson never hesitated in immediately handing me his internationally capable cell phone so I could call home. I still owe him the money for that call.

Nelson is one of the great IWC guys and I am proud to know him. I am pleased to read he will be honored by having one of his watches displayed at the Museum.

• Master
    26 Jun 2014, 10:06 p.m.

It is my previlege to have Nelson as a fellow collector and especially as a friend. The added value of this forum is the friendships we make.
    Hi Nelson, I am sure your sweet baboo will pay attention to you now, since you are now almost famous. ROTFWL

• Master
    26 Jun 2014, 11:12 p.m.

It's guys like Nelson and watch stories like this one, which make this Forum what it is - the best place to share our mutual passion for IWC and where life-long friendships are born.

I have had the pleasure of meeting Dr. Herring on a number of occasions now, and most certainly would agree to all said of him here. A fine Gentleman, with a broad collecting style, and a passion for all things IWC to boot!

I look forward to getting over to IWC in the fall, and seeing his watch in that special wing of the IWC Museum.

• Master
    27 Jun 2014, 7:42 a.m.

A great story about a wonderfull watch and a passionate IWC collector. Thanks for sharing is here Michael.

• Master
    27 Jun 2014, 1:32 p.m.

There are a number of collectors on this forum that I have not yet had the privilege to meet. I say "not yet" because I am systematically trying to remedy that situation as the opportunity arises. Nelson Herring is a forum participant that I've admired and always have enjoyed his posts. Any photo glimpses of his collection has been a good forum day for me. Thanks Michael, for your excellent post and I look forward to the day I meet Nelson in person.

• Master
    27 Jun 2014, 1:47 p.m.

Michael - I am glad you took the opportunity to laud Nelson for his long-standing generosity to the IWC community and the background on his IWC collecting beginnings. What a great story - oh, how time flies - It's been such a privilege to count Nelson as a friend.

• Master
    27 Jun 2014, 2:08 p.m.

Congratulations Nelson and wishing you the best,

Jack Freedman

• Master
    27 Jun 2014, 2:42 p.m.

I have never met Nelson, but I know he is not pushy or a self promoter as he is one of the quiet ones on the forum. I also know he is a serious IWC enthusiast with a collection that has been spoken about with reference by others.
    It's also nice but rare to see such a model. I also spoke to Leo Sweeney that the UK service centre does not even get a handful of repeaters transiting on their way to spa town each year, so IWC probably considers training a UK service engineer as uneconomic which makes the skills required to be a lost art in the UK.
    One day maybe I will go hands on with an IWC repeater and maybe one day also meet a Southern Gentleman who happens to be an avid collector.

• Master
    27 Jun 2014, 7:29 p.m.

For me as an apprentice it´s great to read this story. It makes me proud being a new member of this forum and awe-inspiring regarding the history of this unique union. It´s fantastic what watches can cause. Thank you all for that!
    Best,
    -Christian

• Master
    27 Jun 2014, 8:35 p.m.

Beautiful watch! However, I wonder about the hands and the center of the dial: do I see rust? When in Schaffhausen, the watch could use a spa treatment to correct this.

Kind regards,
    Paul

• 27 Jun 2014, 9:38 p.m.

You don't see rust. This is a stock catalog photo (not of number 48) furnished by IWC.

• Master
    28 Jun 2014, 12:54 a.m.

Michael, a great story about a great man! And of course a great watch too. Thank you all for let us being involved.

• Master
    28 Jun 2014, 4:32 a.m.

A lovely post. As far as I am concerned, it has been a great privilege to have met Nelson on several occasions. He is a wonderfully warm, charming and cultured man that has made being part of the Forum such a special feature of our lives. I know from others that Nelson has a remarkable collection of IWC watches. I hope to be able to see the Herring Repeater before it goes back to its home. I have a particular weakness for watches that go "Ding".

• Connoisseur
    29 Jun 2014, 2:08 p.m.

This thread if not read superfluously, reads like an Obituary to Nelson, did I miss something, is he not amongst us any more? ;-)....No just joking...

I know Nelson is a great fellow, I'm glad to have the honour of knowing him, if only online.
    I could also mention a few more though, that I have had the privilege to meet here(online), with the same attributes, so it seems IWC Collectors are really something special!

Regards

Jimmy

• Master
    29 Jun 2014, 2:46 p.m.

Jimmy, ever since you started sharing your "little secrets" and "big collection" on the military pieces, you have been counted as one of those "IWC Collectors are really something special!" Gents.