• Graduate
    31 Mar 2011, 7:57 p.m.

Hi There
    I recieved a portuguese automatic model 500114 yesterday but have noticed that the hour hand is slightly fast/ out of alignment by about 6- 7 minutes. this seems to happen only at certain hours and is mainly visible at 7&8 o' clock.

Has anyone else seen this problem or have any ideas what the problem is?

Given that it does not seem to happen at every hour could some hour markers be mis- placed?

Thanks for your help
    Regards
    Mark

• Master
    31 Mar 2011, 8:55 p.m.

It does not sound correct but how about a few pictures depicting this?

• Graduate
    31 Mar 2011, 10:09 p.m.

Thank you for the promt response Alan. Maybe i am losing my mind but the pictures do not really show the problem. It is definetly noticeable at 6, 7 and 8 o' clock and i have asked a friend to look and he also thought the hour hand looked "fast". Maybe it will take a little time to get familiar with the face of this watch, i have been wearing a Rolex Submariner and Panerai GMT for the past few years so it may be the slim hands that are throwing me off a little here.
    Regards
    Mark

i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l501/markbyr/photo3.jpg

i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l501/markbyr/photo6.jpg

i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l501/markbyr/photo5.jpg

i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l501/markbyr/photo1.jpg

• Master
    31 Mar 2011, 11:42 p.m.

Got the very same watch and you have me now concerned as to whether I have the same issue. I see what you mean at 8 but do not see it at 7.

Keep checking or wind forward hour by hour. Also remember that each hour is thirty degrees of arc so a protractor might prove useful as also an enlarging photocopy of the dial to fill a sheet of A4.

If nothing else it would identify any issues and where the problem lies.

• Graduate
    1 Apr 2011, 6:19 p.m.

I am taking it back to the AD tomorrow to get their advice and will let you know what they say
    Thanks for the responses guys
    Mark

• Graduate
    5 Apr 2011, 8:28 p.m.

Just a quick update,
    I showed my AD the issue and he offered to either have one of his guys look at the issue or arrange to send back to the factory. I think I will just live with it for now as it feels too new to have any repairs done, anyway I am kinda getting used to it now and it makes me appreciate the handmade element of the manufacture all the more.
    I suppose not all works of art are perfect....

• Apprentice
    21 Apr 2011, 7:19 p.m.

Just purchased a IWC Portuguese 500114, and noticed this fault within a few hours. I have now informed my dealer and to his amazment he has checked all his stock, only to find each watch has the same problem, hour hand 3-4 degrees forward past the hour marker on the hour. The dealer is now talking to IWC who will check if this is a faulty batch of watches or if this is a in-house fault with this movement. PS. when setting the time, the hour hand lines up perfectly on the hour on every hour marker, its only when the crown is pushed in and the watch settles you can see this problem. best way to check if your watch has the problem, is to manualy set the watch to 14:45 and then check it at 15:00. Please can you respond to this as I would like to know how many other watches suffer with this fault. IWC has informed me that they are not aware of this problem and states that they need more than 5% of watches to be returned with this fault, only then will be highlighted as a problem???

• Graduate
    21 Apr 2011, 8:55 p.m.

As mentioned above I can only see the problem at certain hour markers but have got used to it now. Would be good to see how many others have this problem.
    If IWC admit there is a problem will they replace the watch?
    Mark

• Graduate
    15 May 2011, 5:56 p.m.

Hi Folks

Has anyone seen or heard anymore on this issue?

• Apprentice
    16 May 2011, 12:30 p.m.

I Have just returned my IWC 500114 for a full refund from my AD, Very disapointed with IWC who would not give me an explanation as to why Six plus watches were all having the same problem. This was my dream watch, and from day One I have been very disapointed. I will not be purchasing another IWC in the future. Probus Scafusia (My Arse). PS also noticed this prolem on other IWC's as well. check before you purchase!!

• Graduate
    16 May 2011, 8:18 p.m.

Sorry to hear that. I have just chosen to ignore the issue but i am also kinda disapointed with the watch as i would expect a watch of this value to be 100% perfect. I have never had such a problem with any other brands. How did these watches pass quality control???

It may possibly be a bad batch as i am sure more people would have mentioned the problem here.

• Apprentice
    2 Jun 2011, 10:52 p.m.

To all Portuguese owners, Please can you give feedback on this thread, as I would really like to know if other owners have this problem. Pictures would be nice so I can show my AD. Regards clockwise

• Connoisseur
    2 Jun 2011, 11:46 p.m.

This was my dream watch too! I had the possibility to see all four steel models closely to my AD, but did not noticed this problem. I was going to acquire the 014 in a few weeks but will now retract myself.

nevertheless the movement stays impressive, and the design is timeless...
    anyway, I don't put the blame on IWC, because I guess they're doing their best and will take into account any technical issues...

• Apprentice
    7 Jun 2011, 10:03 a.m.

This post is hidden. You cannot not see its contents.

Hidden by on 8 Nov 2018, 4:07 p.m..

• Apprentice
    7 Jun 2011, 11:18 a.m.

I just got new 500113 Portuguese seven day power reserve today. IT has the same problem i have noticed withing 3 days after my purchase from authorized IWC retail Outlet. They have checked the watch and they shall now be sending watch back to the factory for repairs or adjustments. I am very saddened to see my new watch being taken away for repairs just within 3 days after purchase. How does anyone verify the quality of the machinery? The dealer himself is amazed when i showed him the watch malfunctions at 8 am/pm. There is no refund policy and amazingly a watch worn just ONCE has to be sent to manufacturer with days after purchase.

• Graduate
    7 Jun 2011, 7:12 p.m.

Are the dials for this model made in-house?

This fault sounds like a bad batch of dials from the same production line. IWC really need to treat this issue seriously before their excellent reputation begins to suffer.

I have yet to return my faulty watch to the factory and am considering just trading for another brand, shame though as it really is a beautiful watch

• Apprentice
    11 Jul 2011, 7 p.m.

This post is hidden. You cannot not see its contents.

Hidden by on 8 Nov 2018, 4:07 p.m..